Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our 1st Mommy/Calen Date!

Back in June- just about a month ago- Calen and I had our very first date! Let me explain...I've heard in the past about people "dating" their children as they grew up and that as parents it is up to us to show our children how to "date" through these outings and that we should be our children's "first girlfriend or boyfriend"- I just LOVED this concept! I want Allen and I to teach our children how to be polite and to date in a Godly manner... Plus it also gives our children special time with just one of us every few months and now that little sister is home, Calen definitely deserves that!

So, Calen and I started our "dating relationship" by taking a picture of the two of us, making a run through the McDonald's drive through for breakfast and a trip to the movie theatre to see Toy Story 3! Calen and I had been talking about our date for weeks- any time a preview for the movie came on we chatted about it! On the opening day of the movie Calen woke up so excited and to be honest, I was super excited too! Our children will only be this little once and I want to make as many memories as I possibly can with them.

Mommy and Calen heading out on our 1st date!


This was Calen's 2nd time to see a movie at the Theatre but to be honest I don't think he remembers the first one. He sat down and ate his McDonald's while the previews were running (yes, this mama was bad and snuck in food!) and kept looking at me and smiling. Once the movie started though- there was NO looking at me for the first 20 minutes because he LOVES Buzz and Woody and all he wanted to do was soak up the new movie. :) About 25 minutes into the movie Calen did end up in my lap though because he got a little scared at the mean bear, Lotso. Only date I will ever have where a boy sits in my lap I bet! LOL! The movie was really good. It was a little darker than the other two movies and of course I bawled like a baby at the end of the movie just because I was thinking about Calen growing up and moving away to College like Andy does in the movie. All in all, Calen loved the movie and can't wait to see it again...it was a GREAT movie- as if there is anything else I can expect from my beloved Disney! :)

He was SO excited to see this poster that he RAN over to it to look at all the characters! :) Do you see him holding his "little buzz"? Yep, "little buzz" made the trip with us!

I had a fantastic time with Calen on our date and we still talk about that date even a month later! If someone asks Calen if he has gotten to see Toy Story 3, he immediately tells them "Yep- on my Mommy/Calen date!" I love my Calen-bug so much and am so glad that we are starting this mother/son tradition and while I hope he wants to go on dates with me forever, I am realistic in knowing that this very well may end up being something that I get for only a very short season of my life...but you know what? I am going to take it all in for however long the ride lasts and make as many memories as I can!

~Mandy~

2 comments:

Courtney said...

So sweet! I'm glad you got to enjoy your son and share such a special date with him. :)

Lindsay said...

Hi, my name is Lindsay and I have a few questions about your adoptions and Holt. Your children are beautiful! Please e-mail me if you can at lindsayhoang@hotmail.com