Thursday, September 30, 2010

God is EVER present...

I have a God story to tell today... for those of you that have my photography page on FaceBook this is pretty much the same story (just some extra details that I left out on fb along with some more thoughts). However, I really felt that I should share this here as well because I haven't blogged in a while AND because I think that God's story should be told over and over again! I am constantly falling in Love with Christ and this is just a small example of why...


Story: I went to the post office to mail something yesterday during my lunch break. When I pulled into a parking spot, a homeless man was sitting right in front of it. I NEVER carry cash but happened to have some $ on me from a photo shoot I had done last weekend- now I'm really trying to pay off a new camera that I recently purchased (more on that another time) and didn't want to use that cash. However, I really felt that I should give this man a dollar when I came back out. I decided to listen to only what I can describe as God's voice talking to me and broke a $20 bill when I paid for my package. I was disappointed when I walked out to my car and saw that the homeless man had left. I thought to myself that maybe I had misheard God talking to me 5 minutes earlier.

I dismissed it pretty easily and decided to grab a milkshake after that and just went through the Jack-in-the-Box drive-thru. After I ordered and pulled closer to the window I suddenly felt God pulling at me again...God still wanted me to use that broken $20 bill... I decided to look behind me to see if anyone was in the drive thru after me. There was... a man that was in a nice shirt and tie. I quickly told myself that he probably didn't need the free lunch (what an idiot I am for making such a snap judgement about someone based on what they wear- but don't we all do that?!?) but then decided that maybe God knew better than I. I told the lady at the window that I wanted to pay for the man's lunch behind me- she looked at me a little funny, but took the $ and then started talking into her headset. She quickly looked back at me and motioned to me through the window. She came back with my change and she was giddy and smiling. She said "I just witnessed a miracle. God is amazing!" I said, oh so eloquently, "HUH?" She came back-"God is AMAZING! Right after you told me you wanted to pay for the person behind you, the man in the car behind you just told me he didn't have enough money for what he ordered and that he would have to back out the drive thru! I was able to tell him to just drive up to the window because of you!" I think I must have looked a little stunned but I quickly smiled and said "YES... GOD is Awesome!!!" I was quickly ashamed of myself for thinking that I knew better than God- I had decided the man didn't need me to pay for him based on his CLOTHING! Seriously- talk about humality! I pulled away from the window totally tearing up and as I got up to the street low and behold there was the SAME homeless man from the post office walking, he had a smile on his face and a bag of food in his hand! This time I didn't hesitate- I leaned out the window, asked him how he was doing and gave him the dollar God had orginally gotten my attention for...:-) After that I cranked up K-Love in my car and cried happy/humble tears all the way back to work!

I just think it's AMAZING how God can nudge us to do something... It gives me great confirmation that HE is always speaking to us in the every day things! :) I know that God used just a few dollars (literally less than $5!) today to bless several other people (including the fast food worker who was just as stunned as I was!). Seriously- this worker was giddy from what she witnessed- I think it made her day as much as it did mine! I didn't get to see the man's reaction in the car behind me- but you know what, that totally doesn't matter! God told me to do something, I thought I knew better, then HE whispered to my heart again and for once in I don't know how long, I quieted down and let HIM guide my actions. I wish I could explain in more eloquent words what this has done in my heart... I so DESIRE to BLESS GOD with my words and actions- to be His HANDS AND FEET and for awhile I think I've been a bit wrapped up in myself and my family and I haven't been listening to Christ whisper in my ear that He loves me and knows best for me and my family. What better example could He have given me than yesterday in that dang drive-thru? None-Period. What an AWESOME God I serve and adore... that yet again He has found a way to pull my attention fully back upon HIS face...now, if only I can quiet my heart to listen more often...

SO- what has God been trying to tell you? Are you listening? I hope that you will ALLOW God to bless you in ways you didn't think important just as He blessed me yesterday. This morning I really listened to Matthew West's new song- "My Own Little World"- I hope you have time to watch and listen today... it fits this situation so perfectly (click the title to go to YouTube to see it).


Love you all so much more than I can express,
~Mandy~

2 comments:

Little Lesiw said...

Fabulous, Fabulous story. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

That was a great story! Alisha had paid for a mans Starbucks one day behind her also and I thought she was nuts. Someday I will do that too! :)