Friday, August 13, 2010

Airplane Day 2010

One week ago today, Calen had officially been home with us for 2 years! I wrote a post about it last friday but somehow thanks to Internet issues, the post didn't save and I now get to write it all over again...

I can't quite believe that our baby boy has been home with us for 2 years as of August 6th, 2010...

He came off the United airplane at SFO on August 6, 2007 around 9 in the morning as a beautiful, but very scared baby that we instantly fell in love with:




And quickly he became the most amazing child I had ever known that called us mama & dada and gave us lots of hugs and silliness:

As of today, he is still one of the most beautiful children I have ever had the pleasure of being around (yes, I know I'm a biased mama)! He is the sweetest, smartest 2 year old I know and he calls us his mommy and daddy and tells us he loves us multiple times a day :) WE adore the ground he walks on:



As does his adorable baby sister... just look at the way she stares at him:


We let Calen choose what to do for his airplane day this year and he chose to go to Castle Air force Museum to see all the military airplanes. He called it his "airplane date" all day long and I just thought that was the cutest thing ever! As soon as we got to the Museum Calen spotted a big airplane and told me that it was just like the one on "TailSpin"- we just bought a ton of Disney series movies from the early 90's and this is one of his favorites to watch. He was right- it looked JUST like the airplane on the cartoon!


Calen and Allen got lucky and got to go inside an airplane that was being worked on that day- I couldn't tell you what model the plane was although Allen probably could if he were sitting next to me! Allen said it was a very tight fit in the plane- no thanks, the ground was just fine for me & KatieJoy :)




We also got to talk with a couple of retired military men that had worked at Castle Air Force Base. One of them was from Texas and was showing his teenage daughter's where he had served... he was so proud of the time he had spent in the military. We thanked them profusely for their service because we really are so proud of our country's military families... we are trying to teach our young children now to be proud of them as well and to show them a ton of respect for giving us so many freedoms. :)

Calen got to end his "date" by taking a family picture and buying something small and of course he picked a WWII airplane in the gift shop- he has played steadily with this plane ever since!
(not the best quality but hey a WWII Vet took the photo for us!)

I woke up on Aug. 6th this year just in awe that our little Calen-bug has only filled our lives for 2 years... 2 years just doesn't seem that long when I think of all the happiness & memories he has already brought into our happy home! I thank God for our son EVERY single day and wouldn't trade the way that God has made our family for anything in the entire world! Time sure does fly once you have a family and I know that we are trying to enjoy this amazing journey every step of the way...

We love you so much Calen and are so glad that God brought you into our lives to be our son!

Love- Mommy

1 comment:

Jessica deBruyn said...

Loved watching Talespin! Calen has good taste in tv. =) I also love the idea of celebrating his airplane day... so unique and so special!