We were early to Holt so we decided to walk to a bakery that many families talk about... well the cabbie saw us and thought we didn't know where we were going so he stopped and yelled at us to go back and kept pointing to the Holt building! We decided to turn around and just be early because the cab driver was looking at us so sincerely- he had gotten us where we needed to be and wanted us to go in... What cab driver in America would do that?!? So we walked into Holt and right as we walked through the door there was KatieJoy! Bestill my heart... Calen looked at her and asked "who is that?!" We said "That's your baby sister!!!" She was being held by her foster father and he kept pointing at us and telling her "omma" and "appa"- she just slightly smiled at us. We walked up the stairs to find our social worker, DJ, while the foster family stayed downstairs.
We found DJ very easily and after apologizing for being early she said the Foster Family is here! and she ushered us into the hallway where we turned around and there they were! KatieJoy was down on the ground waiting for Calen to come say hi. Calen ran up to her and she just laughed at him and smiled! He was so excited to meet her and she acted like she knew who he was already. I wish I had the video camera out for that, but I didn't. We were taken into a small meeting room with 2 small couches and some chairs. Calen immediately took some snacks over to KatieJoy to eat and the foster parents had him put the snacks in her mouth. She was pretty content with eating them :-) And I was just in so much shock staring at her that I had to take a few minutes to get composed enough to start asking the foster mom questions about our sweet girl. So here's the big thing...she has immense stranger anxiety- with anyone. The foster parents were very proud of her because she didn't cry when she met us like she generally does for others. They said that they showed our pictures to her every day and told her that we were her "omma" and "appa" and that she loved to look at the album. So, I'm so glad that I sent those pictures!!! However... that was about how much she liked us- or rather liked me. She could tolerate Allen holding her- she looked around a lot, but didn't mind him so much. She did NOT like me much- didn't want to look at me at all and cried when she did. This is opposite of what happened with Calen so it's hurting my heart a bit right now. Not to mention, she's stuck with me at home for the next month and a half- Allen goes back to work the day after we get back...
KatieJoy with her Appa
KatieJoy with her Omma


Our family all together for the first time!
Daddy's little girl already!

Yep- this is the look I got every time I went near her... :(
Looking for her Omma
My two kids in one picture! :)
We got to hang out a little bit more and learned that she is very healthy now even though she was a preemie. Yeah, healthy is an understatement- this girl is HUGE. I mean totally solid- huge! I am praying that the clothing I brought for her will fit... If not, well, I guess I better hope at least something fits for that plane ride home....
We learned a little bit about her precious Korean Family... they have been doing this a LONG time! Over 20 years and KatieJoy is baby #40! Can you even imagine? I am so grateful to these wonderful people for taking our girl in and loving her since LAST July!!! You see what we're up against? That's a long time to be loved by someone and then have to switch to someone else. The family gave us some gifts- her one year Hanbok, some of her favorite books and her favorite toy. They also gave us a photo album full of pictures of them with her. Looking through this album I really realized just how attached she is to her Appa and Omma. Oh boy is Wednesday going to be difficult. Our social worker, DJ even said she'd be praying for our family.
We layed pretty low the rest of the day. Allen isn't feeling well. Like as in fever and chills not feeling well for the past 2 nights. We did go to Insadong and got some shopping done for others and for our kids. I got a cute Barbie Hanbok and Doll Hanbok for KatieJoy to play with when she's a bit older and then I got both of our children Jade carved Wedding Ducks to give to them when they get older. (This is a Korean tradition that I think is very cute!) I have a little bit more shopping to do tomorrow on our City Tour that Holt provides for us. (Courtney- I will be on the lookout for that post card you requested! I looked tonight but couldn't find one!) If you could keep Allen's illness in your prayers that would be very appreciated...if KatieJoy is only going to want him then he needs to be feeling well! Also, I think it's good to mention here that we think her transition is going to be pretty hard and because of that we are going to keep her pretty close to us. Please don't take offense if we hibernate in our home for a while or if we don't allow her to be held by you. Attachment experts say that the best thing to do is keep her world small for a while to make sure she realizes that we are her parents and that we will be taking care of all her needs. We love you all and want you to all have a relationship with her- just give her a bit of time to get used to her new family and friends...
I should have some good pictures of Korea tomorrow- we get to see a few palaces and some shopping areas on our tour. :-) After that if the rain breaks we hope to hit the Korean War Memorial Mueseum... If we can't do that tomorrow we are hoping to hit it before we pick up KatieJoy for good on Wednesday afternoon.
Love to you all and once again thank you for all your well wishes and prayers- we can definitely feel them!
~Mandy~
7 comments:
Congratulations on finally meeting your precious girl!!! I can totally empathize with those pictures of her with you, Amanda..Briar was the same way with us during our first meeting and wouldn't let us within 10 feet without screaming! However, she had an absolutely amazing transition and I hope the same for KatieJoy. Praying that God will connect her heart to yours and that the love she has for her foster family will transfer to you and Allen quickly.
Great photos--KatieJoy is beautiful! I hope Allen feels better soon. Thinking of you all.
Myra Beth
YES! Thank you! :)
I'll be praying for everyone, KatieJoy especially, that she takes to you guys quickly and understands that you are her forever family. It'll be ok. God's gotten you this far, He'll get you even further.
When you're home and ready for a visitor, just holler!
SHE IS GORGEOUS!!! Oh my goodness Curt and I are in tears just looking at these pictures of you with your precious baby girl. From the day she was born our amazing God knew she would be placed into your arms forever.
Thank you so much Mandy for dedicating yourself to updating this blog. It is a lot of work but we are all hanging every word you write!
Hugs also to Mr.Calen:-)
Love, Megan and Curt
WHat a BEAUTIFUL baby girl! Love the outfit- blue tights and all!
:-)
I know it is not the meeting you expected or hoped for, but as already said- it is totally normal and it is actually a good thing that she has a fear of strangers. Just not easy for mommy and daddy right now though!
LOVE all the pictures! Keep it up if you can!
Still praying my friend...
She is so adorable! She will feel of your love for her and soon feel that you are mom and dad. We're so excited for you and will keep praying that all goes well on the way home and with Allen.
What a great post. She is lovely. I think it is great how C. went straight to her.
Post a Comment